Monday, February 16, 2009

The Magic Plea Ball...

So, shortly after I started as a prosecutor, they assigned a new public defender to my court. I was quite new and had no "reputation" yet to speak of.

So we spoke about how we'd do things, and agreed to meet and try to negotiate about all the coming week's cases at one weekly meeting. A good system, as it turned out.

So he came up to the office, and I had the sixty or so files ready. We spoke about the first one, and then it was time for me to make an offer. He asked if the defendant plead, would I agree to probation.

So I reached into the side drawer and pulled out my Magic Eight Ball...

"My sources say No."

"What are you doing?"

"Making offers."

"You can't do that!"

"Au contraire, I just did. Look for yourself- my sources say no."

"You can't use an eight ball for pleas!"

"But this is the MAGIC eight ball. It knows things beyond our mere human ability to understand."

My reputation began that day. Enhanced by the Sentencing Ouija Board and Wheel of Parole introduced at other times.

As I recalled this tale, I used the wonders of the internets to discover that one can have Magic Eight Balls made with custom answers!

I wonder if lawyers would buy them with lawyer answers...

No comments: